Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Italian Meatballs my Nonna would be proud

 
All I remember of my Nonna is good food, real good food
Nonna's cooking oozed love
Mom had to take notes when Nonna cooked so we have some recipes
 
 
I think Nonna would be proud of my Meatballs
 
 
first put dog outside of the kitchen
ignore sad brown eyes
 
 
 if you don't have a good ground beef you won't have good meatballs
 
don't over mix ground beef rumor has it makes the meat tough
 
 
I took photos the best photos ever
of the ground beef with crumbs, cheese, seasonings
misplaced them I know how does that happen on a digital camera
?
 
 
30 yrs I've been making meatballs
my aunts would always asked why I stand over a hot stove frying the meatballs
just put them in the oven they said
it's quicker, it's easier, just do it
 
look Aunties - I put them in the oven
you are very wise women
 
 
place cooked meatballs into the my spaghetti sauce
simmer, at least 1/2 hour
put in the crock on low for 4 or more hours
 
 
serve with pasta or in a nice subroll
we use the gluten free sour cream biscuits for subrolls
Three Bakers makes an awesome Gluten Free Sub
ENJOY!!
 
 

 Italian Meatballs
 
1 1/2  pounds   hamburger
2      large   eggs, beaten
3/4  cup  bread crumbs,   4c Gluten Free Italian is great or crumb 2 slices gluten free bread
1/3  cup parmesan cheese, grated
1/2  teaspoon      salt
1/4  teaspoon      pepper
1 clove  garlic, minced
  small  onion, minced

  
Place all ingredients in bowl, mix thoroughly without over mixing into mush.  Roll into balls about 2".  Cook in fry pan over low heat 15 minutes each side.  Place cooked meatballs in sauce, simmer 1 hour.  No longer.

Instead of frying bake at 425 degrees for 10-15 minutes because it makes the Aunts happy

 NOTES : If using unseasoned bread crumbs add 1 tsp Italian seasoning
 
Basic Tomato Sauce
 
1 med onion, minced
2 oz olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-12oz can tomato paste
1- 16 oz can sauce
1- 28 oz can crushed tomato
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp sweet basil
oregano
s&p
 
Over low heat, sauté garlic & onion in oil in a large stock pan.  When onion is translucent add paste and a little water, stir.  When hot add the crushed tomatoes and sauce, sugar, seasonings.  Simmer at least 2 hours.
I sprinkle 1/2 tsp baking soda and stir until it stops frothing to cut the acidity of the tomatoes.
Still looking for my original notes to see where I learned this.
 
 

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment