Sunday, March 15, 2015

Good Old Fashioned Corn Chowder

Mom came over today to help me make my Great Grandma Barrus's Steamed Pudding

I decided to make her Corn Chowder for her for lunch
 learned a few tricks I must have forgotten over the years
thanks for helping today Mom


  Mom's Corn Chowder  potatoes, bacon, corn  scrumdileocious
a favorite when we were Kids now a favorite of my kids


My favorite corning dish from my Mom
the old kind that you can use on the stove top
I used red potatoes so I wouldn't have to peel them ;0)


crisp the bacon in the pan your going to make the chowder in
put the bacon aside sauté the onion in the bacon fat

add potatoes, cover with the water in the can of corn,
this gives the chowder a sweeter corn flavor
simmer till potatoes are soft about 10 minutes


Mom's checking my progress
She dices her potatoes into very, very uniform size
today she taught me how - I'll take photos & share her trick next time


add the can of milk
1 tablespoon of butter on top
heat through


today I learned Mom puts the butter on top of the chowder because
she knows it is heated through when the butter is melted
butter is melted it's done
do not boil chowder it will curdle


ENJOY!!!!!


We also made Philly Cheesesteak Bites took us several tastes to get them just right  

And Great Grandma Barrus's famous Steamed Pudding
at 100yrs old Gr Grandma was still making it

 Corn Chowder
Serving Size : 6    Prep/Total Time: 25 min.
Categories : Soups & Stews
 
Ingredients
   4 large potatoes, diced to bite size
   2  - 15 oz cans corn
   2  - 15 oz cans creamed corn
   1  - 12oz can  evaporated milk
4 slices bacon or 1/2 teaspoon thyme
   1   small onion
   1   tablespoon butter
In large saucepan cook bacon strips on medium heat, when bacon is crispy remove bacon, set aside to add at the end. Leave about 1 tablespoon of bacon fat in the saucepan to sauté the onions in. Sauté onion and (thyme) in bacon fat.  Add diced potatoes sauté about 1 minute.  Pour liquid from the canned corn, then add water to cover potatoes.  Simmer about 10 minutes just until potatoes are cooked.  Time will depend on the type of potato and the size you dice them. Add corn, creamed corn and evaporated milk. Top with 1 tbs of butter,  heat through.  Salt and pepper to taste. It's done when the butter is melted
Do Not Boil, boiling curdles chowders using evaporated milk lowers the chance of curdling the chowder.

Variations 
If you don't have bacon or don't like bacon, really I know people that know people that don't like bacon use 1 tablespoon butter with 1/2 teaspoon thyme, still a scrumdileocious chowder.
If you want to make this chowder with Soy or Almond milk make it the day before or early in the day The corn and bacon will over power the odd taste the cooking of soy and almond milk have.












I'll add cooked chicken, diced smoked sausage, ham, shrimp for some protein if I want a more heartier meal. 
Corn Chowder is great to fix ahead then pop in the crockpot on warm for company to have while lingering.

                              



No comments:

Post a Comment