Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Sheperd's Pie

Sheperd's Pie is one of those classic comfort foods every Family has a their own twist on making.  It's a casserole made of ground meat, vegetable then mashed potatoes it's that simple.  We grew up with the ground beef and corn version but many people make theirs with peas.  Certainly if you don't like corn use Peas or Peas & Carrots.  It's all about tasting good!!


This is a simple delicious dish that everyone enjoys I don't know anyone that doesn't like Sheperd's Pie.  To keep things simple I use my Mom's Corning Ware Dish the old style from the 60's you could freeze, bake and cook on the stove top with the old corning ware.


I love Old Corning Ware I use it for Sheperd's Pie, Corn Chowder, Mac & Cheese, Baked Fish Chowder, Pot Roast, Chicken Pasta, Beef Stew.  I can cook my meat or sauce in the Corning Ware then add the rest of the ingredients and pop it in the oven, less pans means less mess and that means less dishes to wash and I don't like doing dishes ;0)



Every kitchen needs a 6 qt Dutch Oven that cooks on the stove top and goes in the oven.  It just make your time in the kitchen easier, it is soooo versatile and pretty to set on the table. Really get your hands on one you will be amazed how much you use it. If my Mom's Corning Ware is already filled with food my second go to pan is Lodges Dutch Oven 


I like having a gravy in my Sheperd's Pie my Mom never made a gravy she did straight up ground beef and we gobbled it up.  Make it the way you like it!!!
 
Many Chefs have taken Sheperd's Pie and dressed it up with sausage, squash, sweet potatoes.  Rachael Ray Makes a Mushroom Lovers Polenta-Topped Shepherd's Pie I think I should try on a flip flop cooking day.
 

 
I like to give the meat a little more flavor by adding a diced onion to it when frying it.



The amount of mashed potatoes is usually based on what I have left over between 1/2- 1 inch.  don't over load it unless you really love mashed potatoes.



Potatoes are unpredictable and sometimes they are just blah.  To remedy the blah add 1/2 cup of cheddar, 1 tsp onion powder, some bacon bits.  If I happen to have scallions in the fridge I'll mix them in.  My Mashed Potatoes



Sheperd’s Pie


Serving Size : 6    Prep Time:10 min
Categories    : Main Dish

1 lb  ground beef or turkey
Small onion diced – optional
1-2 tbls flour – optional
¼ - ½ cup water or broth
1  can (15 oz)  corn, drained
1 can   (15 oz)  creamed corn
2-3 cups leftover mashed potatoes
Mom’s version
Cook meat, drain fat.  Place meat in a 9x9" baking pan.  Then add corn, creamed corn and potatoes.  Dab with butter.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  The sides will be bubbly.

My version
Cook meat with diced onion, if there is a lot of fat drain off leaving about 2 tablespoons in pan with meat. Sprinkle flour over meat, stir to create paste add water or broth.  If you like a lot of gravy add 2 tbs flour and ½ cup of broth. 
If using water:
for beef  add 1 tsp beef bouillon you don’t have bouillon add 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce for beef
for turkey add 1 tsp chicken bouillon if you don’t have bouillon add ½ tsp poultry seasoning. 
Then add corn, creamed corn and potatoes.  Dab with butter.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  The sides will be bubbly.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment