Saturday, April 18, 2015

Caprese Pasta Salad Oh how I love thee........

Caprese Pasta Salad

Farmers market had Basil - Rooted Basil my favorite
See how you can stick the root ball in a glass fill it with water
a week later and I still have fresh basil and my house smells marvelous!!!


Basil is so delicious added to so many things
I'll be posting my Strawberry Basil Martini
Trudy's Watermelon Basil Salad
Roasted Red Pepper Sauce w/Basil
 there are so many more ways to enjoy Basil


1 pint cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes or plum
chop tomatoes about 3 cups


dice 1/2 lb of a Mozzarella Log
don't use shredded something gets lost just doesn't work
I know I tried once


slice basil, lot's of basil at least 1/2 cup
I use scissors just like with the scallions


Boil pasta, drain toss with Balsamic Vinegar & Oil
capers will give it more bite but they aren't needed
see I didn't add them this time


Caprese Pasta Salad

Ingredients
2 cups dry pasta - I like Tinkyada Fusili gluten free pasta
1 pint cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes or plum
chop tomatoes about 3 cups
1/2 lb of a Mozzarella Log
1/2 cup sliced basil
1 clove crushed garlic
2tbs balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar - red wine vinegar is a softer punch
2 tbs olive oil
1 tbs capers or 1 tsp red pepper flakes
s&p to taste

Directions

Boil the pasta according to package directions, drain while still warm toss with the balsamic vinegar, oil and garlic. Very Important when using gluten free pasta it keeps the pasta texture from breaking down.
Add tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, capers.  Enjoy!!

Variations:
2 cups cooked Quinoa in place of pasta
feta cheese in place of mozzarella
You can skip the balsamic vinegar but we love it




No comments:

Post a Comment