Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Tots aka Cauliflower Tots


Tots just Tots
 if anyone asks they are just Tots
no one will ever know


 pretty cauliflower ....now let's make it yummy tots!!


this is a very large head of cauliflower it would have easily made a double batch
I wish I made a double batch
 easy, fun to make,
yummy....... oh yea I said that

I like to core my cauliflower before cutting off the flowerets
I find it easier to cut

the head was large my flowerets were large
they measured 3 cups of flowerets
  
steam the flowerets 15-20 minutes
soft but not mushy
unless you like a more mashed potato style tot

drain the cooked cauliflower then mash
you want it to crumble like cutting in biscuit or pie dough
add egg, cheese, seasoning

shape into tots
tots are small ........we aren't making nuggets
roll in breadcrumbs, place on parchment lined cookie sheet
these are so easy a child could make them!!


YUMMMMM!!!!!


noooo..... that's not my snack for tomorrow
I'm testing their freezability
I really want to make a quadruple batch


Cauliflower Tots

2-3 cups cauliflower flowerets
1 egg
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup breadcrumbs, I used 4C gluten free crumbs
chicken broth - optional

Place the cauliflower in a large saucepan, pour broth  or water over just to cover the pan by 1/4  inch.  Steam the cauliflower about 15 minutes until soft but not mushy, drain.   Mash with a fork
you want it to be crumbly (like cutting in biscuit or pie dough) add egg, cheese, seasoning.
Shape into tots, roll in breadcrumbs, place on parchment paper lined cookie sheet.  If you don't have parchment paper spray sheet with cooking spray.
Bake 400 degrees, 12 minutes, turn tots, bake another 8 minutes.
makes 27 tator tot size tots
 I like to use chicken broth for steaming cauliflower in place of water to me it softens the flavor, cauliflower can be a bit bitter.
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper would give a little zing without to much heat




No comments:

Post a Comment